Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shabbat Shalom!

I really like my life. So what? Today is the Sabbath.  And no, I am not confused..our Sabbath is on Saturday here in the Holy Land, not Sunday!  So naturally, Shabbat Shalom! Or for you who need a translation: Happy Sabbath! (I think.) I'm actually in the Arabic class, not Hebrew but I know the Shabbat Shalom song by heart because the stupid children sing it all the time.  And by stupid I mean smarter than me and by children I mean my roommates.  Okay so I join in and sing it too. What? It's really catchy.

This week we started our classes. Yay!!?!?!?@39e302203##$$*j!!?!?? Precisely.  But actually I was excited to start all my classes here because I feel so culturally naive about the world I now live in.  I am taking Arabic, a field trip class, Old Testament/New Testament, a class about the Ancient Near East, a class about Judaism, and a class about Palestinian history.  All in all it is 15 credits. I don't know if you're new to college, but that's kind of a lot.  Especially when you are trying to find time to go see sites too!  We have gigantic readings for each class so that keeps me busy.  But I find time to go out into the city as well, don't worry! I did lots of fun things this week! :) Mom don't read the following: I sometimes a lot go out into the city instead of doing my homework.  I like to have fun.

This week I went to a number of sites! Here you go:
1)I went to Mary's tomb and the place of the betrayal of the disciples (when they fell asleep as Christ was in the Garden) which are both at the bottom of the Mount of Olives.  They were really neat!
2) One of my favorite places we've visited is the Church of the Holy Sepluchre which is inside the Old City in the Christian quarter.  It is a beautiful church where many people believe Christ was tried there, hung on the cross there, and buried there.  As Mormons, we don't necessarily believe that, but it is still a wonderful and spiritual place.  I have learned to appreciate so much the devotion many give to God.  They inspire me.
3) We have gone to many different gates of the city which is fun to see the Old City from a new angle.  I have been through so far Damascus Gate (beware of pick-pocketers), Lion's Gate (less busy) , and Dung Gate (beautiful name, I know), Jaffa gate (which leads to the West), and gone right up to the Golden Gate/East Gate which is actually sealed.  But if any of you know your facts, Christ is supposed to come down the Mount of Olives and go through the East Gate.  In an effort to stop Him, the Muslim's built a huge cemetery outside the Old City Walls and sealed up the East Gate.  Apparently Christ cannot go through cemeteries or walls, but I have a feeling that He can do whatever He needs to.  We'll see though.
4) I went to the pool of Bethesda. Twice! They are another one of my favorite spots.  The first time, our little group of seven was sitting in the church built there to honor Mary and someone said, "You can sing!" and so we did! The echo in that church is unbelievable! I have never heard a prettier sound in my life.  So we sang some hymns and afterwards some South African women talked with us and looked at our hymn book.  They knew a lot of the songs in there but laughed when they saw the Christmas ones.  I'm still not really sure why.  The pools are all dried up without water, but still so amazing because you can just envision Christ there with the sick man!  Wow, I couldn't get enough of it!  It was such a beautiful, peaceful place in the midst of a busy, dirty city.  Did you like my comparing words?  People tell me I'm smart all the time in my head.
5) One place that I love is Shaaban's shop in the Old City. He loves Mormons!!! Ha in his shop he has BYU flags, Relief Society magnets, leather scripture cases, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  Every time we walk past his shop he flags us down, gives us a chair to rest on, pours us a glass of juice, and let's us talk to him! He is the best! And he gives us awesome deals and exchanges our money.  What would we do without Shaaban?  He told us the other day that he knows when tourists are Mormon or not Mormon because the girls are covered all over their backs and arms and legs.  I thought that was a real compliment. There is another funny man named Nasir and he also loves Mormons (everyone knows the Mormons).
6)We took a field trip on Monday to go to 5 different overlooks of the Jerusalem, some close and some far.  It was really neat! We even saw Bethlehem.
7) We went into the Room of the Last Supper at Dormition Abbey!  Sometimes a lot I write about things and then think, "I can't believe I actually did that!"  This would be one of those times.  It was neat to think that that is where the Holy Ghost was first given to Jesus's disciples.  Also there was Kind David's tomb.  History literally presents itself to me daily! I love it!
8) We went to West Jerusalem a couple of times which was a wonderful time.  It is very American-like with lots of shops (Nike, Nine West, etc.) but the best place to go is Ben Yehuda street.  We went there one night and some friends played guitars/sang and tried to make money!  They did at one point, but by the end of the night they found that they had actually lost money.  We're still not sure if I stole their money or the angry grandpa that kept cursing at us in Hebrew and flipping us off did.  It was probably the former, let's be honest.
9) We also had a girls night or two which were incredibly great fun! We painted our nails and did mud masks (the woman at the store was an expert saleswoman and when she told us she was 50 and looked to be literally 35 we thought we must try her secret!).
10) My week was amazing, as you can tell.  I guess you can probably see why I haven't been blogging a whole lot.  But of all the magnificent things that I did, my favorite place to date that I've gone is the Western Wall/Wailing Wall.  Maybe you've heard of it.  It is literally the most fought over piece of land in the entire world.  And it's probably smaller than a football field in length.  Sabbath for the Jewish begins at sundown Friday evening and ends at sundown Saturday evening, Saturday being their Sabbath.  To welcome in the Sabbath, they celebrate of course!  So tomorrow we went to the Western Wall just before sundown in order to view this celebration.  When we got there, we were able to worship at the wall.  What an amazing experience.  I have learned things there that I have never learned before.  The Herodian Ashlars (fancy name for the type of stone at the wall at our level) were the same exact stones that were there when Christ walked the Earth.
*side note: the call to prayer is sounding throughout the city right now.  Everyone complains of waking up to it  at 4:30 every morning (they pray 5 times a day), but I have never woken up to it.  Some of you may know why.  It is a man's singing voice projected over the city.  Sometimes when I sing, Sam thinks I am imitating the   Arabic man singing the call to prayer, but in reality I'm singing english songs like "Party Rock." In other words, I have a dang good voice.
Back to the good stuff.  Christ may have indeed touched the stone I did when I prayed at the wall! Who knows! Then we sang and danced for almost an hour with the Jewish women there at the wall!  There is a wall separating the men from women at the wall, so each celebrate separately.  But I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! I cannot say that enough.  The women were so beautiful and nice and welcoming and they would hold out their hands for us to dance with them in a circle and we would clap along with their songs and they were so happy! I loved their idea that Shabbat is something that needs to be celebrated every week!  We talked with some Jewish girls our age after and they were some of the most beautiful and nicest girls I have ever met!  The gave us kisses on the cheek and hugs when saying goodbye.  I love the people here.

Anyways, I'm sorry that is so long.  I cannot write enough about my experiences! Our group is bonding so fast and well.  I love my roommates!  Their names are Aubrey, Marianne, and Shannon.  I will get a picture with them soon!  Until we talk again...Shabbat Shalom! :)
Sam and I at the pools of Bethesda. Maybe I love her a lot? Good friend, good friend.

This is just a view of the city from one of our look-out spots. You can almost see where I live. Isn't it neat though?!

Oh, little town of Bethlehem? You betcha. Back there behind me and to the right.

Dormition Abbey: Nick, Michael-Sean, and Sam.  See mom, I've made friends!

Russell brosef, I don't think you read my blog, but this is for you! I'm hanging out with your friend in Jerusalem.  What now, beef ball?!  Josh and I in the place of Mary's birth. It was three stories into the ground and smelled like mold so I hope she was okay.

Also at the place of Mary's birth: Jared, Leslie, and Whitney.  The girls+Devin and I bonded on our first wait in the airport. :)

This is from the Muslim cemetery right next to the wall of the Old City.  Hence the gravestone.  But do you see that many arched building in the background? That's where I live. Call it beautiful if you would like.  I am incredibly close to the city with a spectacular view!

West side of Jerusalem at night! Natalie, Nick, Rachel, me, Justin, Lizzie

I am having fun. I have to run. I go to beach tomorrow to get some sun. Bye Bye now.






·       


No comments:

Post a Comment